Balanced eating means that treat foods may be eaten occasionally as part of a varied diet. Instead of a traditional chocolate muffin, why not try these blueberry alternatives? They make a great addition to a picnic or party where you can share them with friends.
Makes 12 muffins
- 75g unsalted butter
- 200g gluten free plain flour
- ½ tspbicarbonate of soda
- 2 tspbaking powder
- 65g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 200ml buttermilk (or 100g yoghurt & 100ml semi-skimmed milk)
- 1 large egg
- 200g blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, and set it aside to cool for a little.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a measuring jug, beat together the buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix and gently combine using a wooden spoon, stirring until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold in the blueberries and spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes until golden and firm on top.
- Cool on a wire rack.