385g gluten free flour blend (Dove’s Farm), plus extra for dusting
50g dried skimmed milk powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
100g cheddar cheese
½ tsp salt
For the egg wash
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Lightly flour work surface, and two baking sheets
- Grate the cheese and put to one side
- Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg and buttermilk together, make a well in the centre of the dry mix and pour in the egg and buttermilk mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon. Knead, using one hand, until the dough comes together.
- Carefully pick the dough up and transfer to the lightly floured work surface. Roll out to 2cm thick, then cut rounds with a floured cutter.
- Transfer the scones to the baking sheets, reusing the scraps to roll and cut more scones.
- To make the egg wash, lightly whisk the egg and salt together in a small bowl. Brush the top of the scones with the egg wash, being careful not to let the egg drip onto the baking sheets as this will make the scone stick.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden on top. Carefully remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
These scones freeze really well if tightly packed in a freezer bag. Alternatively this quantity is perfect for large picnics, where they provide a great alternative to sandwiches.