- 20g butter
- 2 onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely sliced
- 200g pancetta or bacon lardons
- 300g dried split green peas
- 300 g of frozen green peas
- 5L cold water
- Salt and pepper to season
- Melt the butter at the base of a large saucepan over a low to medium heat.
- Gently fry the chopped onions and garlic in the butter.
- Add the pancetta or bacon lardons and fry for a further 5 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add 1.5L of water to the saucepan and bring to the boil. To the pan, add the dried split peas and cook until they are soft. Then add the sliced carrots and continue cooking until the carrots soften up.
- In the final 5 minutes of cooking, add the frozen peas to the sauce pan and cook until the peas are just soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- For an everyday meal we’d suggest serving this soup as it is, with the coarse texture giving a rustic finish. If you were serving this for guests we’d suggest blitzing it in a blender for a few minutes and even topping with a swirl of crème fraiche for a polished finish.
Cooking for one can be expensive and laborious. This recipe makes 3 hearty portions, or a decent starter for 4 people. You can easily freeze any extra portions, providing a healthy and balanced ready meal for another day. Just remember to defrost your meal in the fridge for at least 12 hours.