This policy will enable Tickled Fig to demonstrate its commitment to keeping safe the vulnerable adults with whom it works alongside. Tickled Fig acknowledges its duty to act appropriately to any allegations, reports or suspicions of abuse.
It is important to have the policy and procedures in place so that staff, volunteers, service users and carers, and management committee can work to prevent abuse and know what to do in the event of abuse.
The Policy Statement and Procedures have been drawn up in order to enable Tickled Fig to:
- promote good practice and work in a way that can prevent harm, abuse and coercion occurring.
- ensure that any allegations of abuse or suspicions are dealt with appropriately and the person experiencing abuse is supported.
- and to stop that abuse occurring.
The Policy and Procedures relate to the safeguarding of vulnerable adults. Vulnerable adults are defined as:
People aged 18 or over;
- Who are receiving or may need community care services because of learning, physical or mental disability, age, or illness
- Who are or may be unable to take care of him or herself, or unable to protect him or herself against significant harm or exploitation.
(No Secrets, Department of Health, 2000)
The policy applies to all staff, including senior managers, management committee members, trustees, paid staff, volunteers, sessional workers, agency staff, students and anyone working on behalf of Tickled Fig.
It is acknowledged that significant numbers of vulnerable adults are abused and it is important that Tickled Fig has a Safeguarding Adults Policy, a set of procedures to follow and puts in place preventative measures to try and reduce those numbers.
In order to implement the policy the Tickled Fig will work:
- to promote the freedom and dignity of the person who has or is experiencing abuse
- to promote the rights of all people to live free from abuse and coercion
- to ensure the safety and well being of people who do not have the capacity to decide how they want to respond to abuse that they are experiencing
- to manage services in a way which promotes safety and prevents abuse
- recruit staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made
- provide effective management for staff and volunteers through supervision, support and training
- will ensure that all management committee members, trustees, staff, volunteers, service users, and carers/families are familiar with this policy and procedures
- will work with other agencies within the framework of the Bath & North East Somerset Council (BANES) Safeguarding Adults Board Policy and Procedures
- will act within its confidentiality policy and will usually gain permission from service users before sharing information about them with another agency
- will pass information to BANES’ Local Safeguarding Adults Board (LSAB) when more than one person is at risk. For example: if the concern relates to a worker, volunteer or organisation who provides a service to vulnerable adults or children
- will inform service users that where a person is in danger, a child is at risk or a crime has been committed then a decision may be taken to pass information to another agency without the service user’s consent
- will make a referral to the Adult Social Care Direct team as appropriate
- will endeavor to keep up to date with national developments relating to preventing abuse and welfare of adults
- will ensure that the Designated Named Person understands his/her responsibility to refer incidents of adult abuse to the relevant statutory agencies (Police/Adult and Culture Services Directorate)
The Designated Named Person for Safeguarding Adults in Tickled Fig is the Managing Director, Lucy Tarallo-Fox. They should be contacted for support and advice on implementing this policy and procedures.
This policy should be read in conjunction with BANES’ Multi-Agency Safeguarding Adults Policy and Procedures documents which are available at: http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/care-and-support-and-you/safeguarding-and-legal-information
This document is available online at www.tickledfig.co.uk and a hard copy is taken to each training session by the Instructor.
If you would like to report a safeguarding or welfare incident concern, please see our Safeguarding Reporting page.